Monday, April 21, 2014

Rant

Who, in this day and age, does not have access to a smart phone/tablet?  As I was driving home today, I was stalled by a car who was asking a security guard for directions (it was a narrow, winding backroad on a college campus, so I was unable to pass).  There were 2 people that I could see in the car, and neither one of them had a smartphone??  My first thought, as I heard the security guard telling them that she didn't know how to get to 95 from there, was of my parents, who are still semi-anti-cellphones, and certainly do not have smartphones, and I thought maybe I should offer to lead them up the road and start them in the right direction.

Then I started thinking some more about how I know there are still some people out there who do not carry one for whatever reason, my parents included; and my cousin also downgraded her phone as one of the ways to save for her wedding, which I think she is finding technologically refreshing.  I know that my parents carry their iPad with them, which can be used for GPS, and before I had a phone with those capabilities I had an actual GPS device.  Even before that we were able to get around by pre-printing MapQuest directions or <gasp> using a map!  If you are, in fact, traveling without a GPS device, wouldn't you have a map in your car? Sidenote: I (not-so-secretly) LOVE maps, and pull mine up on my phone just to see where we are in relation to other places<3. Worst case scenario (because you knew at some point you were going to miss a MapQuest turn between driving and trying to read the next direction), you called up a friend or Dad who you knew would be sitting at the computer and had them look up the new route for you! (or is that just me?  Thanks guys!)

So in the end I decided I did not need to brandish the 'S' on my chest today and these people would be ok.  Besides, we were late getting home for nap time and I have no desire to stay up until 1:30am again because G is wide awake due to her extremely late nap schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment