Saturday, May 3, 2014

MY hair

I have never been good at doing my hair.  In high school, I didn't even realize I had curly hair, which is why I brushed it out wet and ended up with a frizzball.  The first time I decided I wanted to dye my hair, I opted for an at-home "highlight" kit and enlisted my mom to help.  BIG mistake.  We were both clueless and decided (of course) that it would be easier to just do my whole head... which resulted in senior portraits where my hair is half orange and a poofy frizz. Cute.

Fast forward 10+ years, I am still opting for that at-home dye job (mostly because I am "thrifty," and try to think of myself as a handy-woman, haha), but I am much improved, and do not try to highlight.  I also (mostly) don't cut my own bangs (but in a pinch...).  To be honest, the last time I had a haircut was on my birthday last August, which is frowned upon, and may be the reason I do not have a regular stylist who would remind me of this... So obviously my hair is still not very healthy.

I am pretty basic with my maintenance, although some of my friends like to frown at my (in)frequency of washing, but since I have very dry hair, I do not feel it needs to be washed as often as some people feel the need.  I also believe that everyone's hair is different, and you (should) eventually know what your hair needs (hopefully, I swear I'm getting closer everyday!).  I have friends who say they cannot wash their hair at night because it would be too greasy when they woke up on it in the morning - I am thankful I do not have this problem since I am NOT a morning person and certainly do not have any time to be washing my hair before I leave the house! I like to go as long as possible without re-washing because a) showering is so much quicker when you don't have to do your hair, and b) I figure the natural greases are good for (dry) hair.  This is usually 3-4 days, especially if I straighten it.  I am trying to get away from this since heat is bad for your hair, and I have a daughter who wants to copy all my beauty habits and I am trying to encourage to love her natural curls.  It is also hot in the summer, and when you swim, get it wet, or sweat a lot and it curls back up, that time you invested is just a waste.

In my journey to love MY "curls" (they are more like waves I suppose), I have been searching for simple ways to let it dry that will leave a desirable end result.  The first solution I found for solving the wet hair overnight/simple curl solution involved a twisted bun on the top of my head.  (couldn't find the link)  I tried this several times, and told a couple friends about it, but we never got the results we desired.  But just the other day I found a new solution which so far I like!  Tried it for the the first time two nights ago and am pleased with how my curls look today!  It was from this chick's blog:
http://www.ducklingsinarow.com/p/hair-di.html
but for some reason the exact tutorial I did is not opening up.  It was called "Have I Ever Told You I Can Curl My Hair While Drinking a Pina Colada?"  My kind of girl.  And my kind of hair care.  Homegirl does not enjoy washing her hair very often either, and has tricks to hide your unwashed hair look (although I don't think anyone ever notices mine, I only feel I need to when I can tell it's greasy).
Basically I twist two pigtails up and around a scarf, which I then fasten on my forehead heidi-style and sleep!  I had to heat a couple odd curls, but other than that- love!

Hope this helps someone... still working on my blogging efficiency and making sure credit is given!  Photo-proof is another goal...

No comments:

Post a Comment