Monday, May 12, 2014

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day!
At my house growing up, we were always encouraged to make homeade cards instead of buying them, which my parents thought was a waste of money.  This is really true, since how many people actually keep their cards? (raises hand...)  My parents were down visiting us this year, but left very early on Sunday morning so I didn't actually see my mom on Mother's Day.  Luckily I planned ahead (sort of, but I was ready!) and had her little gift packed up so she'd get it before she left in the a.m.  I had my daughter make these cute cards for her gmas last week (because a homeade a card from a kid is much cuter than from your 30-year-old daughter).  I gave G foam letter stickers I already had in my craft drawer to stick their nicknames ("Honey" and "Mimi") along the tops, and she scribbled little messages at the bottom, which gave them a more personal look.  She was really proud of her work and gave my mom hers on Thursday when they arrived.
Mother's Day is a very "Hallmark holiday," as my father likes to say.  This is true, especially since the origins of Mother's Day started out as more of a banding together of mothers to help eachother, or create a unifying force (credit to the History Channel), which the creator later tried to have removed from the calendar.  Lil knowledge for yo ass.  Luckily we all got smart and turned that s**t around to give us a much needed day of rest and pampering!  All the same, it is SO important to be thankful for our moms and show them how much we appreciate them, so I don't think it hurts to have a day dedicated to it.  Of course you should show this love everyday, but we all know how we get caught in the day-to-day bustle of daily life, moms included, and sometimes we need to slow it down and think how thankful we are for all she does for us.  It takes becoming a mom to fully understand how much work really goes in to running a family!  I know we def took our mom for granted growing up, and she was an amazing mother who would do anything for us.
My mom is the type of person who would give up her last bite or the only brownie for her children.  I like to secretly nibble on my desserts when I think the kids are asleep, or at least upstairs... and then shove the last bite in my mouth and chew as fast as I can when I hear their little footsteps, denying my guilty pleasure when G accuses me of smelling like chocolate.

One day I hope to be more like you- LOVE you Mom!!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment